Those who are worthy, solve if you dare!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Vaati, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Vaati

Dark Sorcerer
    Staff Member Dark Sorcerer
    Expand Collapse

Seeking power for the good of the world
    Home Page:
    #1 Vaati, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Greetings, citizens of Hyrule. I present to you a puzzle. I have my doubts as to your abilities to solve it, but perhaps you will rise above my expectations. It is not the most difficult puzzle that I have had to solve in the past, yet it is challenging enough to warrant the solver a bit more respect from me. This alone should suffice as reward for your efforts. Such respect is immensely difficult to come by. Prove your worth citizens of Hyrule!

There once was a group of six fighting men on their way to beat back the ever-encroaching forces of Ganon from populated territory of the king's. Three of them were Hylian knights; honorable men of the king. The others were mercenaries. These were nothing less than filthy sell-swords of questionable morality, though their skill in combat could not be denied. During their journey, they encountered a wide river that had been greatly swelled by runoff from melted snow. The water was swift moving and frigid. This combined with the river's width and the nonexistent to mediocre aquatic abilities of the men meant that swimming was not an option. Fortunately for them, they discovered a rickety canoe complete with paddles beached on their side of the river. Though the canoe was made to hold one person, two could manage to fit in it at once, though much more weight would almost certainly sink it. The leader of the knights and the band as a whole, Dhenzo, was wise enough to not place much trust in the mercenaries. He reasoned that given the chance, the sell-swords would murder him and his knights and make off with their armor and rupees. Because of this, he never allowed more mercenaries than knights in one place at any point during the journey. This river crossing was no exception. Dhenzo came up with a plan that allowed the men to cross the river without ever having more mercenaries than knights together on one side of the river. How did he do it?

(If you require clearer instructions: Swimming is not an option. There are six men. Three are knights; three are mercenaries. The boat can hold either one or two people. The boat must have at least one person in it to row it across the river; it cannot cross the river without at least one person in it. Every time the boat reaches a side of the river, everyone in the boat must step out of it and onto the land. At no given point can there be more mercenaries than knights together on one side of the river. For example, if there is 1 knight and 2 mercenaries together on one side of the river, the mercenaries will attack and kill the knight. It is fine if there are more knights than mercenaries together on one side of the river.)

Update:

I present to you a new puzzle. After solving it once again, it appears as though it is not as difficult as I initially thought. However, I would still say that it is at least as challenging, if not more so than the last puzzle. For this one, please send me a personal message if you have the answer so as to allow others to solve the puzzle without the temptation of looking at the answers of others. I will publicly commend anyone who answers it here.

Six Hylian friends, Rensa, Mezer, Darton, Jana, Benny, and Ivena got together for their annual reunion. Since their school years, they had moved to six different regions of Hyrule. Two of them moved west (Tabantha and Hebra), two moved east (Necluda and Lanayru), and two moved south (Faron and Gerudo). They met together and shared a dinner around a round table.

The one from Faron sat between Darton and the one from Necluda.
    Ivena sat across from Rensa.
    Jana sat between Mezer and the one from Hebra.
    Benny and the person on his left had both moved west.
    Rensa sat between the two easterners.

Where does Mezer live? Where does Jana live? Where does Darton live?

2. Majora

Mod
    Staff Member Mod Mask Deity
    Expand Collapse

Here is my solution: The Soldier takes a mercenary to the other side, goes back and a mercenary goes with another mercenary to the other side, one of the mercenaries go back, Two soldiers go to the other side and then go back with a soldier and a mercenary (now we have two soldiers and mercenaries on the first side and one of each in the other), Then two soldiers go to the other side and one mercenary goes back to the first side (now 3 mercenaries in the first side and 3 soldiers in the other), and two of the mercenaries go to the other side one comes back to pick up the last mercenary.

Vaati likes this.
  3. Majora

Mod
    Expand Collapse

Termina count?

4. Majora

Mod
    Expand Collapse

Also, this puzzle sounds like something right out of Professor Layton. Except without pictures...

5. Vaati

Dark Sorcerer
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    Very well done Majora. I had my doubts after your initial response, but you have indeed solved it. Your cleverness has impressed me. I will update this thread with another puzzle shortly. It is perhaps the most difficult puzzle I have ever solved, though this could be because I did not go about solving it in the best possible manner.

Majora likes this.
  6. Majora

Mod
    Expand Collapse

Sweet! Looking forward to the next one! Layton.gif

7. Vaati

Dark Sorcerer
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    I present to you a new puzzle. After solving it once again, it appears as though it is not as difficult as I initially thought. However, I would still say that it is at least as challenging, if not more so than the last puzzle. For this one, please send me a personal message if you have the answer so as to allow others to solve the puzzle without the temptation of looking at the answers of others. I will publicly commend anyone who answers it here.

Six Hylian friends, Rensa, Mezer, Darton, Jana, Benny, and Ivena got together for their annual reunion. Since their school years, they had moved to six different regions of Hyrule. Two of them moved west (Tabantha and Hebra), two moved east (Necluda and Lanayru), and two moved south (Faron and Gerudo). They met together and shared a dinner around a round table.

The one from Faron sat between Darton and the one from Necluda.
    Ivena sat across from Rensa.
    Jana sat between Mezer and the one from Hebra.
    Benny and the person on his left had both moved west.
    Rensa sat between the two easterners.

Where does Mezer live? Where does Jana live? Where does Darton live?

8. Majora

Mod
    Expand Collapse

I think I got it. Sent the answers to discord Private message

9. Vaati

Dark Sorcerer
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    Congratulations Majora, you have done it once again. I must say that I am very much impressed. At some point, I will reveal another puzzle here. Until then.

10. Majora

Mod
    Expand Collapse

Thank you,